Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Dynamo Donuts, the Fat Kid Crack House

Dynamo Donuts ranks right up there with Mitchell's as my favorite places to score my sugar hits in San Francisco.  They specialize in gourmet donuts and use fabulous fresh ingredients.  Their menu rotates daily depending on what is fresh, but they almost always have a few standard flavors, including their famous bacon apple maple donut.  Check the website and the twitter feed for the daily menu.

Unfortunately, Dynamo is one of those places where if you try once, you can never stop.  Although I have no personal knowledge, I imagine it is a similar experience to crack, except you get fat instead of skinny when you abuse this substance.  Small details.  So my new rule is that I can only eat their donuts if I walk to the shop, which is 2.3 miles away from my apartment.  Yes, I know the exact distance.

Here are some pictures collected over my multiple visits to Dynamo.  No, I didn't order all of these donuts in one sitting...but I can't say that I haven't been tempted.


Meyer Lemon Huckleberry.  This is what I got on the most recent trip.  Berry was the dominant flavor, but the lemon added a bit of a kick.  Yummy.

Bacon apple maple donut.  So flippin' good.  This is their local claim to fame and Dynamo absolutely lives up to the hype.  The picture isn't great- I am always so excited to eat this donut that I forget to take a picture before I have nearly demolished it.

I think this is the vanilla bean donut, but I'm not 100% sure.  Very good.  They actually use real vanilla bean in the batter and you can see chunks of it in the donut.

Caramel del Sel (bottom left) and spicy chocolate (top right).  Both are solid.  The caramel has hints of orange zest in it.  Simple, but really, really good.  Goes great with coffee.  The spicy chocolate is super rich, dense and cake-like.  I think they put chipotle powder in the sugar, making it a tad hot.  I think it is a sleeper hit and is one of my favorites.  A great choice if you want something to dunk in your coffee without getting your fingers all sticky with icing.

Chocolate rose.  Same batter as the spicy chocolate, but infused with rose water.  Very good.

Lemon thyme (left) and strawberry something (right).  I can't remember what other flavor the strawberry was paired with- on the website, it lists strawberry early grey, but I don't think this is what it was.  My bf, M, loves lemon flavors, so the lemon thyme was a big hit, but we both thought it could use a stronger lemon flavor.  The strawberry was very good- you could taste that the strawberries were fresh.

One of my all time favorites isn't included in my pictures, but it is on the website- banana de leche.  At first, M and I hesitated to get this because we were afraid that the banana flavor would overpower the donut.  We absolutely underestimated the talents of the Dynamo baking staff.  Everything was perfectly balanced, so amazing.

Looking over their website, it seems like they are adding a new batch of recipes into the rotation.  A must try: Monte Cristo.  Ham, gruyere cheese and homemade jam.  It looks like it has been deep fried (ok, I realize that they all have, but this especially looks deep fried).  Are you kidding me?!?!  Another one: Molasses Guinness Pear.  Come on now.

I think another Fat Kid Reunion is in order- who wants to join?

No comments:

Post a Comment